The Halifax Gateway Council (HGC) held its Annual General Meeting today at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport. The meeting included the appointment of a new Chair, George Malec, Vice-President, Business Development & Operations at the Halifax Port Authority and three new Board members.
Malec replaces Joyce Carter who completed two three year terms as Chair of the Halifax Gateway Council. Malec thanked the Board for their unanimous support and indicated that he is looking forward to working closely with the Council and Executive Director Nancy Phillips in executing key priorities.
“Halifax has an unprecedented level of opportunity before it with the new free trade agreements and billions in mega projects in the region,” said Malec. “As Canada’s Gateway to Europe, the Halifax Gateway is ready to take advantage of opportunities to move more people and cargo through Halifax.”
The Halifax Gateway’s key priorities include:
• Maximizing the $122B in mega project activity in Atlantic Canada
• Maximizing the opportunities presented by Canada’s development of new free trade agreements including CETA and Korean Free Trade
• Growing the Halifax Logistics Park
• Increasing Air Access opportunities
The following individuals were newly appointed to the Board of Directors:
• Dr. Joshua Leon, Dean of Engineering, Dalhousie University
• Bernard Prevost, Chief Operating Officer, I.H. Mathers
• Todd Protheroe, Director of Logistics, Clearwater Seafood Inc.
The following Board Members were re-appointed at the meeting:
• Wesley Armour, President and CEO, Armour Transportation Systems
• Richard Butts, CAO, Halifax Regional Municipality
• Joyce Carter, President & CEO, Halifax International Airport Authority
• Nancy Conrad, Senior Vice President Policy, Halifax Chamber of Commerce
• Paul Kent, President & CEO, Greater Halifax Partnership
• Patricia Lyall, President & CEO, Destination Halifax
• George Malec, Vice President Business Development & Operations, Halifax Port Authority
• Doug McRae, Chief Operating Officer, Gateway Facilities Inc.
• Karen Oldfield, President & CEO, Halifax Port Authority
• Captain Sidney Hynes, Executive Chairman, Oceanex
• Steve Snider, General Manager and CEO, Halifax Harbour Bridges
• Marie Houde, Director Business Development, CN
• Marc Fortin, Regional Director General for the Atlantic Region, Transport Canada
• Peter Hogan, Vice President Nova Scotia, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
• Paul LaFleche, Deputy Minister NS Transportation & Infrastructure Renewal
• David Oxner, Executive Director, Nova Scotia Gateway Secretariat
• Kyle Schmeisser, Director Account Management, Nova Scotia Business Inc.